A few things you can find in the article:
- Saturated fat is about specific foods, not animal foods vs. plant foods; the diets richest in saturated fat derive it from coconut, and the American diet is moderate in saturated fat, not high in saturated fat.
- Saturated fats play essential roles in membranes and as additions to proteins that serve as anchors and switches.
- There are some hints from fruit flies that stearic acid could be beneficial to Parkinson's and mitochondrial dysfunction.
- MCTs and butyrate support energy metabolism and butyrate supports intestinal health; these are all saturated fats.
- Obtaining the fat we need in the diet may help spare us from having to make it, and this may spare NADPH needed for antioxidant defense, detoxification, and nutrient recycling. But this may only be relevant at very low intakes of fat.