On May 10, members of the CMJ Masterpass joined me and Dr. Carrie Jones in a live Zoom meeting to ask us anything about hormones, and here’s the full recording!
We talk about things like:
- What time of day is best to take T4 and/or T3?
- How to use pregnenolone to manage perimenopausal insomnia?
- Is insomnia different between people who are and aren't on HRT?
- Estrogen’s effect on the kynurenine pathway could be keeping you up at night.
- What about men with high estrogen?
- Over-the-counter supplements to lower SHBG and increased free testosterone?
- Iodine, fatigue, and “detox” reactions.
- Loss of libido and sexual sensation with the LEEP procedure: could progesterone and vitamin E help? What else?
- Should I be on testosterone replacement therapy?
- Supporting hormones with nutrition.
- Why is early morning waking a characteristic symptom of depression and what other conditions have early waking as a symptom?
- Causes for night sweats in men?
- Nutritional advice for breast cancer prevention, and the HRT question.
- Water retention near menstruation.
- Why would a woman have no cycle? Why would a woman have an anovulatory cycle?
- What can be done to reverse hypothyroidism other than taking thyroid hormone?
All this and much more!
If you’d like to participate in the next Q&A, consider joining the CMJ Masterpass. Use this link to get a 10% lifetime discount: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/masterpass/masteringnutrition
Listen on ITunes or Stitcher.
Click here to stream.
Right-click (control-click on the Mac) here and choose “save as” (“save link as” on Mac) to download.
Subscribe in your own reader using this RSS feed.
Support the Sponsors (with yummy discounts)!
This episode is brought to you by Ample. Ample is a meal-in-a-bottle that takes a total of two minutes to prepare, consume, and clean up. It provides the right balance of nutrients needed for a single meal, all from a blend of natural ingredients. Ample is available in original, vegan, and keto versions, portioned as either 400 or 600 calories per meal. I'm an advisor to Ample, and I use it to save time when I'm working on major projects on a tight schedule. Head to https://amplemeal.com and enter the promo code “CHRIS15” at checkout for a 15% discount off your first order.”
This episode is brought to you by Ancestral Supplements' “Living” Collagen. Our Native American ancestors believed that eating the organs from a healthy animal would support the health of the corresponding organ of the individual. Ancestral Supplements has a nose-to-tail product line of grass-fed liver, organs, “living” collagen, bone marrow and more… in the convenience of a capsule. For more information or to buy any of their products, go to https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/ancestral
Ways You Can Use the Podcast Notes
How to Share This Podcast and Show It Love
AMA About Nutrition Show Notes
07:55 Guidance on what time of day it is best to take T4 and/or T3?
10:37 The use of pregnenolone to manage perimenopausal symptoms, particularly insomnia
12:30 Insomnia is different between people who are and aren't on HRT?
14:15 Estrogen and kynurenine pathway
19:02 Aromatizing in Men
21:40 Over-the-counter supplements to lower SHBG and increased free T, boron, zinc, various herbs
24:20 Discussion about Mycotoxin.
28:48 Discussions in Iodine and mild fatigue and detox.
35:14 Discussion on soft tissue calcification.
40:40 Discussion on LEEP Procedure
45:53 Discussion on testosterone
54:30 Suggestions on supplements to assist with delayed onset muscle soreness.
55:48 How does the body make hormones and what nutrients and foods do they need to do this?
59:29 Know more about hormone production.
1:09:00 Why is early morning waking a characteristic symptom of depression and what other conditions have imbalances of early waking as a symptom?
1:17:00 When should you consider increasing progesterone or estrogen.
1:20:30 Causes for night sweats in men.
1:25:00 Dietary nutritional advice for breast cancer prevention, macronutrient ratios, micronutrient intakes, et cetera. Also any thoughts on risks and benefits of HRT in perimenopause relative to breast cancer risk?
1:28:29 Discussions on Methylation
1:34:35 Struggles with water retention around period.
1:39:23 Why would a woman have no cycle? Why would a woman have an anovulatory cycle?
1:45:02 What can be done to reverse hypothyroidism other than taking thyroid medicine?